Frequently Asked Questions
Planning your Grand Turk Vacations
In an effort to make your Turks & Caicos vacation as easy as possible we have put together a list of commonly asked questions.
- Climate & Clothes
- The average year round temperature is 83F (28C). The hottest months are September and October however there is normally a trade-wind which keeps things cooler. An occasional rain storm can happen at any time of year but it doesn't normally last very long.
- Grand Turk Hotels are laid-back and casual, in fact no formal wear is required anywhere. Just a shirt or T-shirt in the restaurants and modest clothing when around the shops and streets. A long sleeve top may be required on some breezy evenings and don't forget protective clothing, a hat and plenty of sunscreen. It is very sunny here!
- Water temperature
- 82-84F in the summer months (May - October) and mid to high 70s in the winter months (November - April).
- Currency & Banking
- The US Dollar is the only currency accepted in the Turks & Caicos.
- Travellers checks are widely accepted at most establishments.
- There are two banks on Grand Turk with ATMs.
- Visa, Mastercard and Amex are accepted at Bohio.
- Entry requirements
- A valid passport and return ticket is required for all visitors.
- Departure tax
- $35 which is built in to the cost of your ticket.
- Customs formalities
- Visitors may bring in duty free for their own use; one carton of cigarettes, one bottle of liquor or wine and a perfume.
- Lime (formally Cable & Wireless) operate the telecommunications services in the Turks & Caicos. Ensure your cell phone has international roaming enabled before leaving home.
- Internet services and Wireless Access
- There is free wireless access in the main areas of the resort and guest bedrooms.
- Same as the US. 120/240 volts, 60 Hz suitable for all US appliances. Adaptors are not needed for US and Canadian appliances.
- Postal service
- There is a charming old Post Office on Front Street where you can buy stamps and post letters and cards. The islands are famous for their beautiful stamps.
- Courier service
- Fedex services are available on island and can be arranged with Bohio's reception desk.
- Government & Legal system
- TCI is a British Crown Colony currently under the rule of a Queen-appointed Governor, HE Ric Todd. He is assisted by an appointed Advisory Council and Consultative Forum, both comprised entirely of Belongers (the name given to the local Turks Island people). Grand Turk is the official seat of the Government.
- Many faiths are represented on Grand Turk including Adventist, Anglican, Assembly of God, Baptist, Catholic, Church of God Prophecy, Episcopal, Faith Tabernacle Church of God, Jehovah's Witnesses, Methodist and Pentecostal. Visitors are always welcome at all of the churches.
- We have mosquitoes which normally come out at sunset but none carry disease in the Turks & Caicos Islands. A can of bug spray is a very good idea as a light coating normally does the trick.
- How do I get to Grand Turk?
- Are there beach towels in the rooms?
- Are there other restaurants and bars on the island?
- Yes, most within a 20 minute walk, 10 minute bike ride or 5 minutes in a taxi.
- Is Grand Turk safe?
- Crime is very low on Grand Turk and it is safe to stroll around at any time along the main streets. However, normal precautions should always be taken; keep your hotel room locked when not in your room, leave any valuable in our safe and be alert after dark.
- The island is 7 miles long by one mile wide. You can walk or cycle to most places but you may want to hire a car or scooter for a day or two to fully explore Grand Turk. There are plenty of taxis available, the cost is a maximum of $8pp to the airport or $6-$7 anywhere in town. Scooter or car rental for a day costs run at $50 - $65, bicycles are approx. $20 per day.
- Are there shops to buy groceries?
- There is a grocery store 5 minutes walk from Bohio which sells fresh produce, snacks and alcohol. There are other shops on island and we can supply a map and good directions.
- It is customary but not compulsory to leave a 10-20% tip if you feel you have received good service in a restaurant. The same applies for your diving services.
- Laundry services
- Laundry services can be arranged at Bohio's reception desk at $10 per load.
- There are no telephones in the rooms. You can receive calls on the resort number (+649 946 2135) and are welcome to make calls. Outgoing international calls are billed at $2 per minute.
- What is check-in and check-out time?
- 11am is checkout time, late check outs can often be arranged.
- Check in time is 3pm
- Are children welcome?
- Yes, and children 14 and under sharing a room with parents stay for free. Parents are responsible for their children's behaviour respecting other guest's comfort and enjoyment.
- What is the dress code?
- What are the medical services on island?
- A new hospital opened in April 2010 just a short distance from Bohio. It has all modern services and equipment with a team of dedicated doctors and nurses. The nearest hyperbaric recompression chamber is on our neighbouring island of Providenciales. Please ensure you have appropriate medical insurance cover before your vacation.
- Time zone
- Is the water safe to use?
- Our water is government supplied and safe but for taste reasons we provide filtered drinking water for your rooms.
- Our ice is made with filtered water and is safe. Ice buckets are provided in your room.